Ford satnav (newbie question)

Old December 2nd 13, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Scott

Default Ford satnav (newbie question)

Apologies if this has been asked before. I have just bought a new
Ford Fiesta fitted with satellite navigation. Ominously, the handbook
says I should enquire with the Ford dealer about map updates. As far
as I can see, the maps come from TomTom.

Before I visit the dealership, could anyone let me know what is
involved in updating? Is it the usual TomTom quarterly map updates,
but purchased through Ford? Is there any way of purchasing the maps
direct from TomTom instead?

Scott
Old December 5th 13, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 02/12/2013 20:07, Scott wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before. I have just bought a new
Ford Fiesta fitted with satellite navigation. Ominously, the handbook
says I should enquire with the Ford dealer about map updates. As far
as I can see, the maps come from TomTom.

Before I visit the dealership, could anyone let me know what is
involved in updating? Is it the usual TomTom quarterly map updates,
but purchased through Ford? Is there any way of purchasing the maps
direct from TomTom instead?

These days one expects to get map updates foc. I see that Sygic will
sell you lifetime world wide maps for your mobile phone for less than
60. I would expect most car manufactures/dealers to charge more than
that for a UK/Europe update.

--
Michael Chare
Old December 5th 13, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Scott

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 17:59:34 +0000, Michael Chare
[email protected] wrote:

On 02/12/2013 20:07, Scott wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before. I have just bought a new
Ford Fiesta fitted with satellite navigation. Ominously, the handbook
says I should enquire with the Ford dealer about map updates. As far
as I can see, the maps come from TomTom.

Before I visit the dealership, could anyone let me know what is
involved in updating? Is it the usual TomTom quarterly map updates,
but purchased through Ford? Is there any way of purchasing the maps
direct from TomTom instead?

These days one expects to get map updates foc. I see that Sygic will
sell you lifetime world wide maps for your mobile phone for less than
60. I would expect most car manufactures/dealers to charge more than
that for a UK/Europe update.

Sorry, I don't follow this explanation. Are you saying I can expect
to get map updates foc, but not from Ford? If so, could you clarify
where I might get such updates, and will they be compatible with the
Ford equipment?
Old December 5th 13, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Michael Chare[_2_]

[email protected] wrote:

[...]

You can get the Sygic map updates for a mobile FOC.

I don't know what Ford would charge. I think VW charges!

--
Michael Chare
Old December 5th 13, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Scott

[email protected] wrote:

[...]

Okay thanks for the info. I'm looking for updates for Ford though and
I don't imagiine they will be FOC.

Does anyone know if they can be bought direct from TomTom or any other
reputable source?