Which SatNav for newbie ?

Old January 26th 14, 03:24 PM
furkin furkin is offline
Junior Member

Location: Cornwall - U.K
Default Which SatNav for newbie ?

Hi all,
New to the forum Ė new to SatNavs.
Iíve toyed with the idea for some years but didnít get anywhere.
I just bought a new Smart Phone, that has Satnav built in. As you will all know, they are very limited, but it sparked my interest again.
Iím currently looking at the Garmin 2595.
Basically Ė is this item great ?

As far as I can see into the future, I donít think it will used outside the uk,,,,,

If there is anything better for the money, Iíd be pleased to hear about it please, with the reasons / features explained.

Also, any help or advice for a beginner is welcome.
Old January 27th 14, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

"furkin" wrote in message

Hi all,
New to the forum - new to SatNavs.
I've toyed with the idea for some years but didn't get anywhere.
I just bought a new Smart Phone, that has Satnav built in. As you will
all know, they are very limited, but it sparked my interest again.
I'm currently looking at the Garmin 2595.
Basically - is this item great ?

As far as I can see into the future, I don't think it will used outside
the uk,,,,,

If there is anything better for the money, I'd be pleased to hear about

--
furkin

What do you intend to use it for?

Cliff Coggin.

Old January 27th 14, 10:12 AM
furkin furkin is offline
Junior Member

Location: Cornwall - U.K

What do you intend to use it for?

Cliff Coggin.

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm disabled & retired, so don't do a lot nor go very far.
Its only for minimal, personal use.

Its just that when trying to cross the Country last week for a hospital appointment, I relied on my poxy new Motorola G built-in satnav,,, which kept dropping out, and in any case, is very limited.

The Garmin 2595 seems to have everything (unless you know better) and is currently half price.

cheers
Old January 27th 14, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

"furkin" wrote in message

What do you intend to use it for?

Cliff Coggin.

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm disabled & retired, so don't do a lot nor go very far.
Its only for minimal, personal use.

Its just that when trying to cross the Country last week for a hospital
appointment, I relied on my poxy new Motorola G built-in satnav,,, which
kept dropping out, and in any case, is very limited.

The Garmin 2595 seems to have everything (unless you know better) and is
currently half price.

cheers

--
furkin

My question still stands. Are you travelling on the roads, walking across
country on footpaths, sailing the rivers and canals, or flying an aeroplane?
Do you want an instrument that will give you directions or merely an
electronic map to display your journey? Unless you tell us what you intend
to use it for we can't help.

Cliff.

Old January 27th 14, 11:16 PM
furkin furkin is offline
Junior Member

Location: Cornwall - U.K

My apologies:

It will be used in my car, for road use - For giving directions, speed cameras, maps, lanes etc etc.
Old January 28th 14, 06:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

"furkin" wrote in message

My apologies:

It will be used in my car, for road use - For giving directions, speed
cameras, maps, lanes etc etc.

--
furkin

In that case almost any car satnav will perform the basic functions you
want. It's just a question of how big a screen you want to pay for and how
many superfluous bells and whistles you find desirable. The only rider I
would add is to be certain that map updates are free, or at least included
in the price. Not too long ago such updates were almost as expensive as the
instrument.

Cliff.

Old January 28th 14, 08:32 AM
furkin furkin is offline
Junior Member

Location: Cornwall - U.K

Cheers again Cliff,

The Garmin that I'm looking at does have free maps for life, with a 5" screen.

Whilst I would like a bigger screen, it depends on the cost and if it would be at the expense of other features.

Bells & Whistles ?

These are all things that I'm hoping people on here will help me with.

thanks for your time.
Old January 28th 14, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_3_]

"furkin" wrote in message ...
Bells & Whistles ?

Good point: a satnav needs to speak to you to be safe. (Looking at the
screen is too distracting except for glance to check, e.g. shape of upcoming
junction and hence lane sequence to take.)

Thus having either a clear loudspeaker that can compete with noise and/or
passengers in vehicle, or plug into the sound system, could be important...

Mike.

Old January 31st 14, 10:59 AM
furkin furkin is offline
Junior Member

Location: Cornwall - U.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coon[_3_] View Post
"furkin" wrote in message ...
Bells & Whistles ?

Having either a clear loudspeaker that can compete with noise and/or passengers in vehicle, or plug into the sound system, could be important...

Mike.
Cheers Mike,
I agree with your comment: I don't really class a decent volume as 'whistles & bells'. Its obvious that they are used in vehicles, and need to be heard. I would have thought it was a necessity.

I did find that the lack of decent volume a bit annoying with my phone version. As an 'oldie', I don't have my radio/CD very loud, but I had to turn it off if I wanted to use the satnav. Its a point I intend to take up with whatever I go for.

So far - the G 2595 still seems a good deal. It does have Bluetooth facility - mmmmmm,,,,,,,,, I wonder if it uses my radio system for output. I'll try to get hold of Garmin.
Old January 31st 14, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_3_]

"furkin" wrote in message ...
... I don't really class a decent volume as 'whistles & bells'. ...

Nor do I! It was only the noise aspect that made me think...

Mike.