Garmin Quest replacement?

Old May 30th 14, 01:35 PM
BML BML is offline
Junior Member

Default Garmin Quest replacement?

I have a Garmin Quest that I last used about ten years ago which I suspect is not as modern as it could be.

I would prefer a Garmin replacement but with a large a screen.
It's primary use would be for driving with whatever bells and whistles such as traffic reports and speed cameras are on offer.

If it's possible to use such a device for walking round the countryside then great. If not what should I be looking at for this purpose?
Old May 30th 14, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

Default What form of digital Ordnance survey mapping?

Satmap sell digitised OS maps on SD cards. I don't know if there are other
sources.

Cliff Coggin
Kent
UK

"BML" wrote in message

I have a 2004 memory-map which I've not used for years. When I
attempted to load it onto my new computer I discovered that memory - map
no longer support the 2004 version and on top of that I've lost the
access code and memory map charge 25 to issue another one which is
something I've never met before.
Do Ordnance survey market their own digital mapping? Are there any
other forms of digitalised Ordnance survey mapping? If so what are the
better ones?

--
BML

Old May 30th 14, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 30/05/2014 14:27, BML wrote:

I have a 2004 memory-map which I've not used for years. When I
attempted to load it onto my new computer I discovered that memory - map
no longer support the 2004 version and on top of that I've lost the
access code and memory map charge 25 to issue another one which is
something I've never met before.
Do Ordnance survey market their own digital mapping? Are there any
other forms of digitalised Ordnance survey mapping? If so what are the
better ones?

What scale do you want? If you sign up at
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ you can access[1] OS maps in various
levels of detail (the most detailed being 1:25k) for the whole of the UK
for free.

You can also create routes on the maps, and download them[2] to various
GPS-based navigation devices (such as SatMap).

Don't be put off by the "Highlands" bit. Although their principal focus
is the Scottish Highlands, their maps cover the whole of the UK.

[1] "Access" as in display on a computer screen, zoom, pan etc. - but
not download as such, other than doing a screen grab.

[2] Download the *routes* that is - not the maps - your GPS needs to
have its own maps if the route is to be displayed on a map on it.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 31st 14, 08:05 AM
BML BML is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mills[_2_] View Post
On 30/05/2014 14:27, BML wrote:

[...]

Is it possible to find a Grid Ref?
Old May 31st 14, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_3_]

On 31/05/2014 09:05, BML wrote:

Is it possible to find a Grid Ref?

In what sense "find"? Where?

Mike.

Old May 31st 14, 03:36 PM
BML BML is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coon[_3_] View Post
On 31/05/2014 09:05, BML wrote:

Is it possible to find a Grid Ref?

In what sense "find"? Where?

Mike.
If 1:25k is the largest that is what I would like.

By, "Is it possible to find a Grid Ref? I have lost my way I think and forget what I did mean when I typed those words. My apologies but I think that I mean. Can a GPS use a Grid Ref as a target and take you there.
Old May 31st 14, 03:40 PM
BML BML is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
I have a Garmin Quest that I last used about ten years ago which I suspect is not as modern as it could be.

I would prefer a Garmin replacement but with a large a screen.
It's primary use would be for driving with whatever bells and whistles such as traffic reports and speed cameras are on offer.

If it's possible to use such a device for walking round the countryside then great. If not what should I be looking at for this purpose?
My apologies for appearing picky but I can find no response to the above question.
Old May 31st 14, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_3_]

On 31/05/2014 16:36, BML wrote:
... Can a GPS use a Grid Ref as a target and take you
there.

Yes, I think most GPSs (those that I've owned, anyway) will accept a
UK-OS grid ref and tell you the distance and bearing to it. Whether a
satnav will do that and give full routing information is a different
matter...

Mike.

Old June 1st 14, 09:16 AM
BML BML is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BML View Post
I have a Garmin Quest that I last used about ten years ago which I suspect is not as modern as it could be.

I would prefer a Garmin replacement but with a large a screen.
It's primary use would be for driving with whatever bells and whistles such as traffic reports and speed cameras are on offer.

If it's possible to use such a device for walking round the countryside then great. If not what should I be looking at for this purpose?
I have not seen a reply to this question!
Old June 1st 14, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Tim Jackson[_2_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 11:16:14 +0200, BML wrote...

BML;109273 Wrote:
I have a Garmin Quest that I last used about ten years ago which I
suspect is not as modern as it could be.

I would prefer a Garmin replacement but with a large a screen.
It's primary use would be for driving with whatever bells and whistles
such as traffic reports and speed cameras are on offer.

If it's possible to use such a device for walking round the countryside
then great. If not what should I be looking at for this purpose?

I have not seen a reply to this question!

I didn't see the question. Perhaps you posted it via one of the
'...banter' websites and not directly to this newsgroup?

--
Tim Jackson
lid