Selectable voice instructions

Old March 2nd 15, 11:16 PM
warthog01 warthog01 is offline
Junior Member

Default Selectable voice instructions

Hi

I'm looking for an offline Android SatNav app, free or paid. All the most popular versions: Co Pilot, NavFree, Sygic, OsmAnd, MapFactor etc are acceptable, except that none of them offers the option to mute voice instruction while maintaining camera and traffic audible alerts.

I can do without "Bitchin'Betty' telling me which way to turn, but would definitely like an audible warning for speed cameras.

Surely there's a product out there that provides this basic level of control--can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old March 3rd 15, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 03/03/2015 00:16, warthog01 wrote:
Hi

I'm looking for an offline Android SatNav app, free or paid. All the
most popular versions: Co Pilot, NavFree, Sygic, OsmAnd, MapFactor etc
are acceptable, except that none of them offers the option to mute voice
instruction while maintaining camera and traffic audible alerts.

I can do without "Bitchin'Betty' telling me which way to turn, but would
definitely like an audible warning for speed cameras.

Surely there's a product out there that provides this basic level of
control--can anyone point me in the right direction?

I use 'Here' for navigation and 'CamAlert' for speed cameras. CamAlert
has an option to automatically launch another App of your choice every
time it starts - so mine is set up to launch Here. In Here you can
download various voices for use in voice navigation - including 'None' -
so Here can be silent whilst still getting camera warnings from
CamAlert. Provided you have sufficient storage capacity for the relevant
maps, Here can be used offline. It has some sort of 'Traffic' feature,
but I haven't tried that. That needs a 3G or WiFi connection. I'm not
sure just what warnings that issues, and whether or not they still work
when using the silent navigation voice.

Here (Beta version) is currently free. The CamAlert app is free but
there's an annual subscription to access its camera database - unless
you qualify for free membership on account of having been the first one
to submit information about a new/changed camera.
--
Cheers,
Roger