Here Maps (Android) - problem with downloading offline maps

Old April 20th 16, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
NY

Default Here Maps (Android) - problem with downloading offline maps

Has anyone else been having problems downloading offline maps in the Here
Maps app on Android?

In the past it's been a fairly painless process, but when I tried it the
other day (I had to remove and reinstall the app after it stopped giving me
turn-by-turn directions to some postcodes, even though it worked out a
route), I found that it was very reluctant to download maps.

Often it would sit there indefinitely saying "Preparing your map" (and
"Waiting to start download" in the Android taskbar). Occasionally it
downloaded maybe 10-30% of the file and then the progress bar stopped
forever (I left it overnight), though with no error message.

Eventually, after trying on and off for several days, I've finally managed
to download a full map of England (500 MB) by downloading until it stopped,
then long-pressing on the download progress bar in the Android taskbar and
doing "Force stop" on the app. If I then started Here again, it would
(sometimes!) allow me to download again, picking up where it left off -and
getting a bit further than before -after repeating this process maybe ten
times I finally managed to get the whole file downloaded, and it seems to be
intact because it will give me detailed maps and routes to various postcodes
around the country, even when in offline mode and with wifi turned off. But
what a hassle!

I tried saving the file either to internal "USB" storage or to the SD card
in my phone, and I tried over mobile internet as well as over my wifi and
broadband connection - no difference. Looks like there's a problem either
with the app or with their download servers.