Threads in Forum : uk.rec.gps (UK Sat Nav) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
GPS receiver in phone occasionally gives bizarre coordinates by NY
I've just got a Samsung Galaxy SII phone which has a built-in GPS receiver. It's got both the built-in (Google) Maps application and Viewranger which I've installed. When I went out for a walk yesterday (open countryside near a reservoir and dam, with no tall buildings or deep ravines nearby!) I noticed that the phone, which had tracked the route perfectly in the car, started alternating...
January 2nd 13 05:37 PM
Variation in speed reported by GPS by NY
Am I correct in understanding that GPS receivers calculate the speed of the receiver (eg when travelling in a moving vehicle) by calculating the distance moved between one GPS reading and the next? The timestamp of each sample is accurate to the nearest second and the distance readings will be accurate to around 5 - 50 m (typically, depending on DOP at the time). Does this explain why when...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 31st 12 05:58 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
10 1,333
TomTom battery life, memory loss --- improved? by Adam Funk
Hi, everyone. A few years ago we got a TomTom Go 530. The user interface is fine, but we've had three problems with it. 1. The battery life is the worst I've ever seen for a rechargeable device. If we leave it unused for two weeks, it goes completely flat. (Yes, we did charge it fully as soon as we opened the box, before pushing the power button.)
November 30th 12 10:03 AM
by Adam Funk Go to last post
2 1,010
Talking
Alistair by Ali1966
Hi I have just got a Navigon 5 PNA6000 I got it from a charity shop and paid £5 after been in contact with Garman they no longer support this item so can you please tell me if I can get any software updates for it and were could I get an up to date uk map file I have found maps on torrent sites but the device is no its not reading them so could any one help.
November 26th 12 10:27 PM
by Ali1966 Go to last post
0 648
Bad Attitude at TomTom? by UK Traveller
On 21 November I respond to a reminder to renew 1 year's subscription to "Speed Cameras" updates for £14.99. Having done so on 27 Nov I am offered "special price" for the same product of £6.99. My GO300 now too old to be supported, therefore I am unable to contact TomTom by webpage or email - they don't offer a general enquiry email address! I telephone TomTom and my complaint is passed up to...
November 5th 12 03:31 PM
by UK Traveller Go to last post
6 763
Speed Cams in France by Jack Rabbitt
Hi Everyone , I was wondering, has anyone know of stories about people who have driven to france with their speed cams still on the sat nav? anyone know what the police have done, or how they catch you? If its anything like engerloond, you can drive around with the mobile attached to your ear and nothing, so cant see why the cops would be checking every satnav!
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 17th 12 02:12 PM
by Mike Clark[_3_] Go to last post
14 3,485
Field demo required - GPSMAP 62 range - West Midlands area (UK) by R1
Hi. I have traditionally avoided anything more technical that a map & compass, but I now need to develop GPS navigation skills to get me through a 3-day cross-country ski event in Scandinavia (where every recognisable object will be hidden by heavy snow, in temperatures around -40C). Research suggests that i need something from the GPSMAP 62 range, such as a GPSMAP 62st or 62stc. For details,...
August 16th 12 11:04 AM
by Steve Firth Go to last post
2 830
memorymap - problem loading onto Garmin GPSmap 60Cx by wayfarer
Garmin say that MemoryMap European edition cannot be loaded onto Garmin GPSmap 60Cx. Is there a way round this problem? Many thanks for any help. -- Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5 http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post
July 23rd 12 07:07 PM
by wayfarer Go to last post
2 786
GPS map software for a laptop by pershing
Hi, could anyone recommend a good map to load onto my laptop that will work with a gps receiver. Regards, pershing
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
June 9th 12 08:38 AM
by Terry Pinnell Go to last post
22 2,898
Binatone F 350 by pandashoe
hi ive a Binatone F350 with uk/roi maps what am looking for is the europe maps to go with it & the programme to intreface with the gps any help anyone!
June 5th 12 12:13 PM
by pandashoe Go to last post
0 502
Tom tom by pershing
Hi, As this is my first post I would like to say hello to everyone. I have a Tom tom 730 Go. The internal re-chargeable battery is giving up and hardly holds any charge. Is it possible to replace it without returning the sat nav to Tom tom. Regards, pershing
May 13th 12 09:49 AM
by Swifty Go to last post
4 694
City Navigator maps for the Garmin Montana by Mike Lane[_2_]
I'm planning to buy a set of City Navigator maps for my new Montana 600, which are available as a download or a DVD. I was about to specify the download to avoid delivery delays until I read this page on the Garmin website: http://tinyurl.com/ygk6r96 According to this it appears that updates can be obtained for the DVD version but not for the download. Can anyone actually verify that this...
May 2nd 12 12:18 PM
by Klatch[_2_] Go to last post
9 726
Autoroute 2011 by Jake
What's new in this version? Worth upgrading from Autoroute 2010 version?
April 26th 12 05:29 PM
by Jake Go to last post
0 493
Is my TomTom broken or is it the leap-year bug? by Jim
I dropped my TomTom GO300 on Saturday. After it would not find a GPS signal, said GPS reception poor. I was in the process of finding a repairer in the UK when I came across this article on BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17599701 Now I wonder if it was as a result of being dropped or the "bug". I suspect the former as it was working OK before I drooped it. However, it was...
April 17th 12 02:48 AM
by Jake Go to last post
9 883
Help to find GPS logger by Frank K. Jensen
Hi guys, I have looked and looked, but I still can't find a suitable GPS logger for longer trips without access to computer and power. Perhaps some of you have an idea? Must have: 1. Memory for about 1 month of logging (16 hours/day) at 10 sec. intervals. 2. Run on common rechargeable batteries (e.g. AA/AAA) 3. Reliable
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 12th 12 11:19 AM
by Mike Clark[_3_] Go to last post
17 1,412
Does anyone know why my GPS IGO8 Czy ktos wie dlaczego mój GPS IGO8 by sagsurfer
Hello Does anyone know why my GPS IGO8 does not want to plan a route such as the Belt Parkway, and Ocean Prkway in Brooklyn In any case, doing everything to come from this route. Combines right and left wherever the opportunity arise to exit at the next crossroads. And I have one question, why when I enter the coordinates from Google Earth to GPS IGO-8, the GPS shows me a completely...
March 27th 12 03:28 PM
by Anthony R. Gold Go to last post
2 554
Unhappy
Navigon 40 Easy by rhylbloke
Hi, I bought a Navigon 40 "Easy" from Halfords on offer a few months ago. I haven't had much chance to test it, but I was heading north up the M6 going to Keswick a couple of weeks ago, and it wanted me to turn off just after Warrington ! I ignored it and stayed on for another 60 miles until Kendal. Also, after that, I tried it locally, and it wanted me to use country lanes, which may look...
February 22nd 12 07:40 PM
by rhylbloke Go to last post
0 709
Etrex H repairs/spares by Stewart Robert Hinsley
I have a Garmin Etrex H. The molded plastic strap that wraps round the unit, and transmits finger pressure to the recessed buttons, has torn. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement strap? Or, if such are not available, can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive. (I've tried Gloy Gum, but I'm not convinced that this is going to hold. -- Stewart Robert Hinsley
January 24th 12 02:49 PM
by Mike Coon[_2_] Go to last post
1 590
Question
Roadcom RC410 by DJSADERS
Hi All, Does anyone have a driver for the Roadcom rc410 sat nav? www.66.com/rac the driver supplied does not work with windows 7 Thanks
January 22nd 12 09:24 PM
by DJSADERS Go to last post
0 782
Garmin GPS Recommendation by [email protected]
I am going to upgrade my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I have narrowed it down to a choice between the new Garmin eTrex 30 and the Oregon 450 but I really can't decide. Price isn't a factor as with full GB 50k mapping they are both about the same. In favour of the eTrex 30 is the newer satellite chip that picks up GLONASS and in favour of the Oregon 450 is the larger screen. I'm not even sure if the...
November 29th 11 02:27 PM

From The