Threads in Forum : uk.rec.gps (UK Sat Nav) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
sat nav for motorome by quakebo
which would be the best sat nav to get for a motorhome a Snooper S2000N Ventura Caravan & Motorhome Sat Nav or a Navigon 40 Premium - GPS receiver - automotive. the motorhome will be used in the UK and Europe
March 22nd 11 04:56 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
3 676
Diference between Tomtom XL IQ and XL 2 IQ by Tim Downie[_2_]
I'm looking for a satnav for my mother and I'm interested in these usnits but I'm puzzled by the diffences. The specs look almost identical although the XL is marginally bigger. The main difference is that the XL 2 comes with Tele Atlas software (which the XL doesn't have) whilst the XL is "Traffic message channel ready" which I'm guessing is to receive paid for traffic information. I...
March 22nd 11 10:41 AM
by Tim Downie[_2_] Go to last post
2 650
How to regain control of Etrex Vista HCx by Swifty
I just went for a walk, taking my Vista HCx with me. Just before I got back home, it started behaving strangely. It asked me "Follow Road/Off Road", for example. When I go to the "Tracks Log " page, I can no longer get to the menu to save my track, or to turn logging on/off. Is there any way to reset this? -- Steve Swift
March 12th 11 09:10 AM
by Swifty Go to last post
1 567
Motorbike GPS by Martin Schubert
Hi, I just bought a new motorbike -a Ducati Monster 796 - and as I am planning to use it for touring reasons I was thinking of buying a new GPS as well. I don't know a lot about navigation systems so I was wondering: where do they get the power from? I mean, they need to work many hours without switching off, the battery cannot last for so long. Also, there not many models on the market,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 22nd 11 11:29 AM
by Brian Boyle Go to last post
13 1,418
Synchronise or export/import places of interest between OVI Maps and Viewranger by Mortimer
I have a Nokia 5800 phone which includes a GPS. I have Ovi Maps (free) as a route-planner and have bought Viewranger with the 1:50,000 maps. Is there a way to copy places of interest between Ovi and Viewranger so I can add a POI to Ovi as a "drive to" destination and also to Viewranger so I can see the POI on an OS map? Ovi doesn't seem to have the ability to export POIs to a standard file...
January 24th 11 08:11 AM
by Mortimer Go to last post
0 740
Looking for wake-up call on approaching train station by Philip Green[_3_]
I have a pocketpc / smartphone with windows mobile. It has an inbuilt GPS chip but an external GPS receiver with Bluetooth uses up the phone's battery a lot less. Is there any application that will track my position and give me an audible alarm when my current location is less than a given distance from a previously indicated position? The reason is that I tend to fall asleep in the train and...
January 10th 11 08:23 PM
by Jack Rabbitt Go to last post
4 831
Selling TomTom Navigator by Lew[_2_]
I have TT Navigator 5 software and maps for GB on SD card and TT Navigator 6 upgrade software and maps for Western Europe on DVD, including product codes, manuals and original packaging. These are now all surplus to requirements. But can I sell them? I haven't been able to find anything on this by TT, but I remember re-installing the above on new devices and going through a long,...
January 3rd 11 02:13 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
1 504
TomTom on PDA... by Steve[_12_]
I have a Mitac Mio P550, currently running TT6. Is there a newer version available as the maps are getting a bit out of date?
December 5th 10 05:52 PM
by Paul - xxx Go to last post
5 857
Tomtom Start won't find satellites after software update by Tim Downie[_2_]
My daughter's Tomtom Start has gone on the blink after a software update. It now no longer finds any satellites (and yes, it has been left for over an hour outside). We've tried a soft reset via the on screen menu and also a hard reset via the hidden reset button. We've tried re-installing the software updates but that hasn't worked either. There doesn't seem to be any way of "rolling back"...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
November 30th 10 08:36 PM
by kraftee Go to last post
27 2,813
Lowrance GlobalNav IIa by Dewisant
I have inherited a Lowrance GlobalNavIIa the body of the unit only - no antennae or power cable - by googling I found out this info - Lowrance LGC-1 (5 channel) GPS antenna. It is an older antenna that will fit on Global Map 1000, 2000, Global Nav, II, IIA, LMS-10, 15, 150, 200, 300, 350, 350A. It is a rectangular shaped module about 3"X5" (guessing). If someone has one lying around (I do...
November 21st 10 01:22 PM
by Dewisant Go to last post
0 812
Draw your route on the map using GPS2SMS by Waskoo
Your next trip might be a true track-n-trace trip where your friends and family follow you using a simple broswer. POI66.com was the first free service in in the early 2000's that offered this. Check http://www.poi66.com and see how you can easily locate yourself on a map during your next trip. The service is free of charge and we don't sell or pass any personal information from you. POI66 is...
November 13th 10 10:10 AM
by Waskoo Go to last post
0 590
Sattelite Reception gains by Swifty
I bought an old Garmin eTrex Legend C just to see if I needed a GPS. It doesn't work well under trees, and since my main activity is walking/running in forests, that's a bit of a drawback. Do newer systems cope better, or is the problem intrinsic in the frequencies used? Might the new European system fare better? Is it ready, or close, yet? (Displaying my wealth of ignorance here). -- Steve...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 4th 10 08:23 AM
by Swifty Go to last post
10 1,110
First GPS: Used eTrex Legend C by Swifty
I bought a used eTrex Legend C today. It finds my location, and the centre of my village, about 2 miles away, but nothing else appears on the screen. It is as if I live in the middle of a featureless sandy desert. It doesn't even admit the road going past my house. It does show a major road, about two miles away, but as a single straight line, unlike the road itself, which having been built by...
October 22nd 10 04:49 PM
by Swifty Go to last post
5 765
Nokia Ovi Maps by Brian A
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:28:45 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote: Is anyone here using a Nokia phone and the Ovi maps for turn-by-turn driving navigation? I'm having a few problems that may be from my configuration or they may be inherent in the software. Anyone?
September 22nd 10 02:03 PM
by R. Mark Clayton Go to last post
1 669
Anyone seen this fault?? (TomTom Go 730) by 'Nel'[_2_]
On my down to Northampton the other day, I'd only got as far as the A19 flyover at Teesside when my TomTom started going loopy. It kept going to the 'Get Help' menu, despite me frantically hitting the 'back' button to get back to the map. At first I thought it might have been overheating as the sun was low and shining directly onto the unit. So I took it off the mount and lay it on the...
September 6th 10 02:07 PM
by 'Nel'[_2_] Go to last post
2 996
40" GPS - don't settle for anything smaller! by Marvin Hlavac
I wish I had the space for this... http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/3860-gps-motorcoach-using-40-hdtv-monitor John in his motor coach does!
August 30th 10 07:54 PM
by Marvin Hlavac Go to last post
0 600
Nuvi 765T update to v4.00 - changes? by Tony Mountifield[_2_]
About a week ago, my Garmin dashboard told me there was a software update available for my Nuvi 765T. Having applied it, I discovered that it had updated the software from 3.90 to 4.00. I have been unable to find anything on the net that lists what bug fixes and improvements have been made between the two versions. I tried sending a request to Garmin support through their website, but have...
August 1st 10 05:25 PM
by Mike Lane[_2_] Go to last post
3 763
Nokia E72 questions by Tim Downie[_2_]
Whist fiddling with my new E72 I came across a menu for changing the voices in the sat nav software. I picked one of the english ones more or less at random. Now, I can't for the life of me find any way of accessing the menus that allow you to change the voice. Nothing in the supplied manuals makes any refer Anyone know how it's done? Tim
July 20th 10 07:29 PM
by Grant[_2_] Go to last post
1 874
Thank $DEITY by Steve Firth
I've bemoaned in the past the problem with "widescreen" in-car satnav that the orientation in landscape format is the "wrong" orientation with portrait giving a better view of the road ahead. Up until recently I've had to stick with landscape because that was all that was on offer. I note that the Garmin 3790T offers both portrait and landscape format as well as other "interesting features'. The...
July 10th 10 12:20 PM
by Steve Firth Go to last post
0 564
Lookout for KC52 YRY by Join Evan Chandler in Hell Gavin Arvizo
Lookout for KC52 YRY It is a blue Lexus. He is a car vandal and smokes spliff while driving. He drives around Enfield Island Village every morning.
July 8th 10 11:46 AM
by Join Evan Chandler in Hell Gavin Arvizo Go to last post

From The