Threads in Forum : uk.rec.gps (UK Sat Nav) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
USA TomTom map too expensive by marc
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 20:11:43 +0100,Lobster wrote: I'm about to go Florida on holiday; as we'll have a hire car I thought it would be useful to take my TomTom 910 along. However, I find it will cost me 35 GBP to buy the necessary map, which I'd want to use for a few drives over a total of less than two weeks, then I'd delete it. At that price, I'll not bother thanks, I'll just rely...
July 19th 09 10:42 PM
by marc Go to last post
0 323
Hardwiring a TomTom One XL by trubble
Anti-Spam wrote: Got my first SatNav recently, which I am pleased with. I do a lot of driving in areas I am not familiar with, so the speed check / speed camera facilities are really welcomed. I wish now to hardwire it into the dash of my van. I bought a cheap cigarette lighter lead off ebay (so I dont have to destroy my original TomTom one) which I intend to...
July 10th 09 04:56 PM
by Dave Cohen Go to last post
4 1,035
Review or Comparisons of SatNavs by T
Apologies in advanced if this has been asked before! Having always thought SatNavs were just for people who couldn't read maps I have now come back down to earth and realised that I need one. The choice has left me bewildered. Can anyone recommend any decent and unbiased online reviews or comparisons that would help me make my choice? I do not want to subscribe to any subscription services as I...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 2nd 09 08:59 PM
by Steve Firth Go to last post
37 1,539
Hardwiring a TomTom One XL by Brian Watson[_2_]
"Anti-Spam" wrote in message ... On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:37:49 +0100, Peter wrote: Anti-Spam wrote: Got my first SatNav recently, which I am pleased with. I do a lot of driving in areas I am not familiar with, so the speed check / speed camera facilities are really welcomed.
June 30th 09 06:54 PM
by Rod Speed Go to last post
4 865
Question about Haicom HI-204S USB-GPS receiver by user[_2_]
I have such a receiver, but the led doesn't start flashing / doesn't go on, when I insert it in a ps/2 to usb cable or I insert it in a PS/2 socket of a computer. Is that normal?? -- -- 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk/
June 29th 09 08:17 PM
by user[_2_] Go to last post
0 552
Anyone else had their Garmin Nuvi 7x5T die last week? by Tony Mountifield
Just curious - last week on Tuesday my Garmin 765T went deaf for satellites while in the middle of a journey. Powered it down at the end of the journey, left it a few hours and it was ok for the return trip. Curiously, later that evening I discovered that it had flattened its battery. Charged it up and copied the current.gpx to my laptop. The next day, it went deaf again shortly after starting...
June 29th 09 05:15 PM
by Tony Mountifield Go to last post
0 408
Mobile Phone and GPS by Bystander
Good morning all. I have been using a Tom Tom for some years now and have been very happy with it's performance, however I am thinking a mobile phone with GPS capabilities could be better for me, not having any experience of these gadgets, could anyone give me some advice on what to buy. I only need UK coverage really, but quality is my first consideration. Thank you for any help. Bryan (...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 28th 09 10:45 PM
by sue Go to last post
10 863
Truck sat nav? by Chris Wilson
I am struggling to decide on a sat nav for a truck here in the UK. I believe some Tom Tom units (930?) can have truck hazard software installed, but this: http://www.snooperuk.com/products/s7000_truckmate/index.html is due out this week, and the 7 inch screen appeals. Would those in the know critique it from the info available please, and maybe tell me why I should or shouldn't consider it? I...
June 17th 09 04:57 PM
by Conor[_4_] Go to last post
1 560
Satellites reconf? by Mhaxx
Is US reconfiguring GPS in these days? I have many GPS devices and some can't fix (Mstar chipset ones). Massimo
June 16th 09 01:16 PM
by Mhaxx Go to last post
2 469
WTB:Rockwell/Navman GPS Module by nick
Does anyone have a Rockwell/Navman Jupiter GPS module they would like to sell? Please reply to the group initially. Nick
June 11th 09 09:45 PM
by nick Go to last post
0 446
Nuvi 765T - possible to tailor typical road speeds? by Tony Mountifield
I have a Nuvi 765T and was wondering whether it is possible to tailor the typical road speeds it uses when working out routes and ETAs. Or even just to assign preference weights to certain types of road. I do find that it is often quite optimistic about ETAs early in the journey, having to re-adjust them later on, particularly if the traffic is slower than the speed limit. It appears to expect...
June 7th 09 03:32 PM
by Tony Mountifield Go to last post
0 369
i-gotU GPS tracker. by Philip Green[_3_]
I've just bought one and I think it's great. Have a look at www.a-trip.com to see what you can do with it. They also give away free software for Windows mobile devicses to do the same sort of thing using the mobile device's inbuilt GPS or a separate GPS receiver.
June 5th 09 05:26 PM
by No Name Go to last post
1 453
Satmap Active 10? by Chris Eilbeck
Does anyone have one of these? What's it like? What do you think of it? Do you get the same battery life as they claim? Is there any way of putting your own mapping on it such as from openstreetmap? Chris -- Chris Eilbeck
June 2nd 09 11:00 PM
by Mike Barnes Go to last post
7 1,267
How can I correct gpx positions that are out of place? by RsH
I have a 12 hour plus track of our cruise through the Panama Canal. Some of the individual positions, particularly while in the various locks, where the movement horizontally was 0, while there was a vertical movement, show up as zigs and zags over dry land. My suspicion is that over the course of the time the ship was going up or down the connnection to the satellites was changing, as one moved...
June 1st 09 03:27 PM
by RsH Go to last post
0 377
google maps on pda by sue
I have gps and google maps on my mobile phone but when I use it it shows my position several yards from the road. Is this usual?
May 31st 09 06:47 PM
extras for sat navs by sue
My three year old navman has expired and I am looking for a replacement. Now you can get traffic news and speed camera warnings but the info available is scarce when it comes to the cost of these extras. Anyone found out from experience? Also what is the cost of updating maps. I am looking at Tom Tom; Garmin and navmans, the last with caution as 3yrs is a bit short lived but navman do some...
May 31st 09 05:19 PM
by sue Go to last post
0 372
TomTom Navigator 6 by Gursajan Singh
I've been reading about the TTN6 after somebody suggested and it's exactly what I want on a sat nav. However from what I've read it doesn't sound like a standalone sat nav and I'm a little confused on how it works. From the sale sites I've been on it looks like they send you a disc with the software on and you install the software i.e. TomTom Navigator 6 to a device such as a pc, pda, mobile etc....
May 29th 09 11:44 AM
by Reentrant Go to last post
3 553
USB Serial Port for Vista by OG
Having just been given a Garmin eTrex H unit, I was looking for a way to connect it to my Vista laptop via USB. Most of the RS232 - USB cables I looked at didn't have Vista drivers, but /this/ one installed first time on both Vista and XP. I bought it via amazon uk from ABC Products for less than 7.50 with delivery less than 3 days from the order. http://tinyurl.com/OG-post1
May 28th 09 06:45 PM
by OG Go to last post
3 447
Tomtom One Classic by Gursajan Singh
I'm referring to the TOMTOM ONE CLASSIC. I would like to know if I can enter the route into the sat nav i want it to take me. for example if i want to go to leeds and i know exactly which route i want to take can i enter that into the sat nav and just use the sat nav to prompt/remind me rather than the satnav find the route for me. please tell me step by step how i would do this. thanks.
May 28th 09 04:33 PM
by Anthony R. Gold Go to last post
3 400
sat nav help by Gursajan Singh
I'm wanting to buy a sat nav but before i do i have a question. Lets say I have entered a postcode into the sat nav to take me somewhere but on the way I discover a road is closed. Does the sat nav take this into account? is it able to take this into account and then re-direct me? Also is it possible to view the exact route a sat nav is intending to take you before you start the journey or are...
May 27th 09 11:13 AM
by Fred Go to last post

From The